Year 4 Writing non-negotiables
Year 4 Maths non-negotiables
|Number & place value||
Round to the nearest 10,100,1000.
Come back into negative numbers.
Know Roman numerals to 100.
|Addition & subtraction||
Use column addition and subtraction
thousands, hundreds, tens and ones
|Multiplication & division||
Instant recall of times tables to 12 x 12
Use column method of multiplication: hundreds, tens, ones
Use short division of 3 digit by 1 digit
Know common equivalent fractions
Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator beyond a whole
Decimals - divide a 1 digit number by 10 & 100.
Round tenths to a whole number
Rapid recall of conversions between :
km - m - cm - mm, kg - g
l - ml
hour- minute - second,
year - month - weeks - days (including how many days in each month and leap years)
12 hour and 24 hour clock
Trapezium, kite, parallelogram, rhombus, isosceles triangle, scalene triangle, equilateral triangle.
Identify acute and obtuse angles
|Position & direction||
Describe positions on a coordinate grid in the first quadrant
Year 4 Reading non-negotiables
- Declare and justify personal preferences for writers and types of overall text
- Offer personal opinion on characters' feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions, justifying with evidence
- Show clear understanding of texts read and be able to locate information from different parts of a text
- Clearly summarise the main ideas within specific chapters and paragraphs
- Identify simple themes within similar texts
- Make reasonable predictions from details implied or deduced from the text
- Comment on specific aspects of text structure and presentation features
- Retrieve and record information from fiction and non-fiction