Thank you for your support regarding continuing to improve attendance: with your support our attendance figure for last year was at 95.8%
However we still need to continue to improve the attendance of children at this school as our unauthorised absence figure increased dramatically last year due to more families taking holidays in term time and pupils who were persistently absent from school.
In July 2015 the LA issued further guidance to all Lincolnshire schools regarding consistency in approach to the issuing of fixed penalty notices for unauthorised leave of absence during term time. Family holidays, re unions, special birthdays and other family events taken in term time are classed as unauthorised leave of absence.
• Where a child is a registered pupil at a school and the parent fails to ensure that child’s regular attendance at school the parent is liable to be prosecuted for a criminal offence under Section 444 of the Education Act
• In cases where this duty is not being fulfilled Section 444B of the same Act empowers the Local Authority to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of either £60.00 or £120.00.
In 2016 the LA advised schools that they must adopt a stricter policy regarding fining parents for unauthorised absences. Please read our school policy on absences in term time.
· Parents must apply formally in writing to the Headteacher at least four weeks in advance of the requested for absence and detail the reasons for the request. The school will not provide ‘leave of absence forms’.
• A letter will be sent in response to the request stating whether the holiday is deemed to be authorised or unauthorised.
• These letters will be kept on file in case of further action.
• A fine may be actioned if it fulfils the criteria for a FPN.
THE GREATER THE ATTENDANCE
THE GREATER THE ACHIEVEMENT
Please find attached a booklet informing you of how we can work together to achieve better attendance for every child at Morton.